In March of 2010, the members of Soulive hauled their instruments through the doors of a newly-opened warehouse-turned-music venue in Brooklyn that they would call home for the next two weeks. Eric Krasno, Alan Evans and Neal Evans called on a multitude of their closest friends and musical conspirators to join them over the next fortnight – creating an incredibly broad guest lineup that included some of the pre-eminent guitar virtuosos of our generation (Derek Trucks, Warren Haynes), some of the biggest names in hip-hop (Questlove, Rahzel), and some of the most inventive improvisational players in modern rock n’ roll (Robert Randolph, Marco Benevento, Oteil & Kofi Burbridge).
The Brooklyn Bowl quickly became the mecca for these very distinct yet like-minded musicians, where they returned night after night, donning the dress code for good times (bowling shoes) and sharing famous Blue Ribbon fried chicken. The common thread that tied together all these disparate ingredients quickly became palpable — from the transcendental heartfelt improvisations onstage to the homey & playful atmosphere provided by the bowling alley, the Soulive residency was like nothing that had come before it because all of those diverse elements fused to ultimately bring the Soul to Brooklyn Bowl.
Soulive is heading back to Brooklyn Bowl (61 Wythe Avenue – Brooklyn) for Bowlive 2. The veteran soul groove outfit’s acclaimed residency is set for another ten funk-infused evenings — March 1-5 and 8-12 — glittered with special guests every night. Doors open at 6pm, show starts at 9pm, and admission is $15 (21+). The “Bowlive” DVD will be available (for early purchase) to all who attend.
Brooklyn Bowl is a LEED certified, 16-lane, 600-capacity bowling, concert and dining destination. It occupies a former ironworks factory built in 1882 in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, and seamlessly blends exciting new technologies (including a custom-designed JBL Vertec sound system, stage lighting, and a nine-screen, high-definition digital video projection system) into the beautifully restored old structure. The venue features a full restaurant and menu by Blue Ribbon, the acclaimed NYC-based restaurant group.
* What is Bowlive?
* Hat Trick feat. The Shady Horns & Danny Sedownik
* Nigel Hall
* Too Much feat. Nigel Hall, Ivan Neville, Danny Sedownik & The Shady Horns
* The Shady Horns
* El Ron feat. The Shady Horns
* Ivan Neville
* Jesus Children of America -> If You Want Me To Stay feat Ivan Neville and Nigel Hall
* Kofi and Oteil Burbridge
* Butter Biscuit feat. Oteil Burbridge, Kofi Burbridge & The Shady Horns
* Robert Randolph
* Crosstown Traffic feat. Robert Randolph & The Shady Horns
* Give It Up Or Turnit Loose feat. Questlove, Nigel Hall & The Shady Horns
* Made You Look feat. Rahzel, Questlove & The Shady Horns
* The London Souls
* Lucille feat. Tash Neal & The Shady Horns
* Sunshine feat Raul Midon, Nigel Hall & The Shady Horns
* Susan Tedeschi & Derek Trucks
* Soul Serenade feat. Susan Tedeschi, Derek Trucks, Kofi Burbridge & The Shady Horns
* Warren Haynes
* Born Under a Bad Sign feat. Warren Haynes, DJ Logic, Nigel Hall & The Shady Horns